Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Standard Threads

RP_1RP_1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Are there plans to offer a list of standard threads a user may want to include in their designs. It seems like if you want to make threads now you have to manually enter the thread parameters and create it via a helix

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thanks. It would also be nice if OnShape could perform a diameter check on a cylindrical surface to make sure the diameter is correct for the given thread prior to cutting threads to warn the user of any inconsistencies.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to add a big +1 to standard thread features as well as the diameter check.  Visible thread forms are a waste of resources for projects with lots of threaded features but I often need just one or two for job shop work and for those situations there is essentially no resource hit.

BTW, I'd like both internal and external threads if that wasn't assumed.  Bonus points for taper threads like NPT.
  • Options
    liam_boyleliam_boyle Member Posts: 8
    Add me to this request as well.
  • Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    michael3424 said: Bonus points for taper threads like NPT.
    Mind if I ask what taper threads are used for?   
  • Options
    chris_8 said:
    michael3424 said: Bonus points for taper threads like NPT.
    Mind if I ask what taper threads are used for?   
    I've seen them used on plumbing and natural gas fittings for water and gas lines - primarily with steel pipes but also with copper. You typically have to also seal the threads with some type of sealant like tape or joint compound to provide a leak free seal. The taper forms the primary seal. I agree that NPT threads would also be a useful addition to Onshape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    NPT stands for National Pipe Thread, I think, and as others have mentioned it is used on all sorts of fluid fittings, both gas and liquid.  You probably have a few NPT fittings in your house or apartment.  It would be an essential design feature for anyone that does industrial design.
  • Options
    marcel_robitaillemarcel_robitaille Member Posts: 2
    Any update on this? I would love this feature!
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @marcel_robitaille

you could try this feature script for modeling threads
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
    Please add my voice to the list of requestees on all of the above. NPT included. Thanks!
  • Options
    grochinogrochino Moderator, Onshape Employees, User Group Leader Posts: 44
    @IsoTherm I just added you!
  • Options
    stuart_leighstuart_leigh Member Posts: 1 PRO
    NPT threads are really common and used across the whole plumbing industry for the thread interfaces between pipe gas and water piping, fittings, faucet connections, valving, connectors.

Please add this feature.