Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sketch constraints to faces!

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited February 2015 in Using Onshape
Last Onshape update introduced sketch constraints to planes and faces.
Just wanted to say that constraining to faces is SO powerful! Much more robust than referencing edges (or worse: rounded edges). I don't think SolidWorks does this today...
Why I like constraining to faces:
  • No regeneration errors with added/deleted fillets compared to constraining to edges.
  • More intuitive than constraining to reference planes
  • Very quick. Select point or line, select face, press 'i'... BAM! Done.

Kudos to the Onshape team! ;)

What do you think?

Dries

Comments

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. I have found myself wanting this in Solidworks so many times - I'm amazed OnS have incorporated such a novel and powerful constraint so early in the piece.

It is still confined to planar faces, but that's a great start. It works for planar faces which are not orthogonal to the sketch plane, that's the game changer. Mainly but not only because faces are more durable than edges during model edits, as Dries points out.

Once it works for spline-based faces, it will be a major leap for tricky curvy stuff.
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Can someone please post an example....I am not sure I understand exactly what this is.  I want to learn.  

Thanks
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    @Coleman
    Check out this public document:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2b0f0cc7d6344ada9a851e36/w/ee0f80e95d8540ce87cae662/e/e7d479af3e2846068732af57
    Try and delete 'Fillet - TOP' in both Part Studios.
    One will generate errors in the circular hole sketch, while the other will resolve perfectly.

Dries