Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Imported Assembly & Parts reference

Ali_AlAli_Al Member Posts: 1
Hello Onshapers,
so far I'm really enjoying Onshape but as a reliability engineer I like to see things fail :), now I have been importing different file formats with various sizes and so far Onshape is able to open them with few problems like messed up colors or missing surfaces and I'm creating a list of all those instances to keep track of things. Now I want to test Onshape by importing large assemblies instead of individual parts so I created a new document and imported my solidworks files including the sldasm file, all individual parts were successfully imported and converted but the assembly was not.

does Onshape recognize the relationship between the assembly file and parts automatically or this must be done manually? Am I even doing the right thing?

Comments

• Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @ali_al - at this time Onshape doesn't automatically recognize the relationship between parts and assemblies imported into the same document.  To import a SolidWorks assembly, first Pack & Go the assembly from SolidWorks as a .zip file containing all the parts and subassemblies, then import the entire .zip to Onshape.  As long as the name of the .zip matches the name of the top level assembly this should import fine.  Let us know how it goes!

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support