Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to import parts into existing Part Studio? Or, how to edit Parts within an Assembly?

Axel_2Axel_2 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2016 in Community Support
Hi, need some help!!
What do I want to do: Create a housing for electronics based on step file of a pcb. It needs holes for push buttons, connectors and other component related stuff.
My workflow: Import pcb, build the housing referenced to planes, edges, centers etc. of the electronic components. So far everything works perfekt! Housing with bottom, hood, cut outs is fine. The pcb had to be changed due to some geometric issues. So i need to modify my housing. 
My Problem: I need to reference sketches etc. of my Part Studio to the new imported step file of the new pcb. But this comes together only as an assembly! So I don't see how to edit my parts referencing to the newly imported pcb. How is it going? Can I import my pcb as a part into my Part Studio?? Can I edit parts in the assembly? 
Thanks and regards, Axel

Answers

• Options
    Tomer_WellerTomer_Weller Member Posts: 1
    Did you find an answer? I have the exact same issue
  • Options
    caseymatalonecaseymatalone Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

It sounds like you are doing some in context modeling. The best way to go about this is:

1. Import the new PCB into another part studio tab.

2. Go to your original PCB Housing tab.

3. Use the derived command (found in the feature tool bar). Select your newly imported PCB.

You'll want to move the derived part in the feature tree to the top of the feature tree. This way you can change you references in your sketches.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    Axel_2, please refer to my example here , I  created a valve in part studio 1, and I  wanted to modify its dimensions according to the base , so I  derived base from part studio named  grinder assembly whose all parts were imported from a step file, after deriving successfully , I  moved it to the proper location with "transform", and after that , I  modified valve's width.

• Options
    ben_druce254ben_druce254 Member Posts: 5
    This is great. Thanks @shanshan
  • Options
    aurelio_gallardoaurelio_gallardo Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Thanks casey matalone. That was clarifying!

• Options
    aurelio_gallardoaurelio_gallardo Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Thanks caseymatalone. That was clarifying!