Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3D Text and Cut threads

2»

Comments

• Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1 for sketching text
  • Options
    benjamin_3benjamin_3 Member Posts: 5
    +1 for Text
  • Options
    Nickolas_LockardNickolas_Lockard OS Professional Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Is there any news on this? I created a text box over a part and tried to extrude-remove from that part (routing the part name and user orientation in a piece of wood). When the extrusion completed, only the closed parts of the letters extruded. Any work-around?
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it an extrude through all, or a blind extrude? 
  • Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    What font were you using?  At my work, we have a bit of a predicament with modeling text.  Using our typical fonts, we can cut, extrude, and wrap text onto our models just fine.  However, when we try to generate toolpaths for CNC scribing, the CNC software chokes up on the text that is made up of more than single strokes.  Then, if we switch to a single stroke font, the cut won't complete because there are no closed regions, except for the normally closed loops of letters (a,b,d,e,g,o,p,q...).  Our only way of working around this has been to have two features, one that has text that is completely closed loop letters that makes the feature you see in the model and a sketch with the same text in it using a stick font to drive the CNC toolpath. 

I don't know if it is possible, but it would be nice if you could extrude the stick font as a surface, offset that surface all around to make it a body and then be able to do a boolian remove of that solid.  That way you could (in theory, if and when OnShape gets CAM capability) drive both the model geometry and CNC toolpath from the same feature.

Edit:
    I was able to do an extrude cut of text using the default font, which seems like it is closed loop.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your problem.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

I don't know if it is possible, but it would be nice if you could extrude the stick font as a surface, offset that surface all around to make it a body and then be able to do a boolian remove of that solid.  ...
    I think that is probably currently do-able
  • Options
    I'm modeling cast parts with raised lettering.  For example a wheel with lettering around a circle.  If absolutely necessary, each letter can be oriented individually, but ha
  • Options
    rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I'm wanting to print text on 3D printed models. Really need to resize the font to make it fit. I found something in the inspect tool about font size but when I changed it nothing happened to my sketch.
  • Options
    labernlabern Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Just dimension the text box to the size you want.
  • Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    So you can accomplish threaded text, but you have to use a boolean (I used the Thread Generator FS) with an enclosing cylinder if this is what you mean? Some letters don't work as well as others (S was amusing)

• Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    @rex_hanson @andrew_troup I have a featurescript that does text:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfec40e2b66bb4ddb2f3414b/w/24132f252a02825eb0606641/e/7af1344ab1e54af102d0f4b9

On the topic of 'stick fonts' @owen_sparks shares your interest in a font designed to make it easier to machine-- we're actually talking about that topic here

• Options
    david_roy466david_roy466 Member Posts: 1

Hey buddy, to cut Letters/ text all you need a proper Router Bits. It’s very important for you to choose the best router bit for cutting letters since it will decide how well your work will come out in the end. The things you should look first before selecting anything to cut letter/ text is :-

1. Carbide Tips

2. Anti-Kickback Technology

3. V Grooves and Round Noses

4. Type of router

You can also read this article to know what i am saying:- https://theedgecutter.com/best-router-bits-for-cutting-letters/

If it help then vote up it