Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Insight into queries?

traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
I feel like I'm not getting the query system. I get the basics. But then I see something like this:
export function evLength(context is Context, arg is map) returns ValueWithUnits
<snip>
var edges = qEntityFilter(arg.entities, EntityType.EDGE);
var ownedEdges = qOwnedByBody(arg.entities, EntityType.EDGE);
return @evLength(context, { "edges" : qUnion([edges, ownedEdges]) }) * meter;

and I get confused.

Why did qEntityFilter not capture the edges owned by entities, making the qUnion necessary?

Does qEntityFilter only work on things that are not owned?

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    In this case, arg.entities queries for a mixture of edges and bodies.  qEntityFilter just extracts the edges that are directly queried for.  qOwnedByBody just looks at the bodies -- and then gets their owned edges.  Another way to thing about it is that the result of a qEntityFilter query is always a subset of the subquery passed in -- that's what it means to filter -- so it would be weird if you pass in one body into qEntityFilter and out comes a whole bunch of edges.

I'm not sure if that makes it more or less clear...
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited April 2016
    That clears it up. It did not occur to me that bodies would be the query passed to qOwnedByBody. I thought it was taking a list of edges and returning edges that were owned by a body.

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    Ah, ok.  Actually, *every* edge (and face and vertex) is owned by some body.  You can get that body using qOwnerBody.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc