Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Construction points?

traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
I saw this:
annotation { "Name" : "Sketch points to place holes",
"Filter" : EntityType.VERTEX && SketchObject.YES && ConstructionObject.NO }

and tried it out. It appears that the ConstructionObject part does nothing. Perhaps the vertices for sketch wires and sketch points are not marked as construction (even though I'm doing my best in the sketch editor to do so)? Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    You are right -- we never mark sketch vertices as construction.  Probably more unintuitive behavior rather than a bug -- we have not seen a real need for "construction" sketch vertices, since they don't participate in defining sketch regions in any case.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Since construction is how one differentiates geometry intended for 'real' from geometry only for use inside the sketch to setup the 'real' geometry, and some features, like holes, will use only vertices, there needs to be a way to differentiate construction points from non-constructions points. (A virtual sharp is an example of a construction point I might place when creating a sketch whose 'real' geometry is only points).

Drag selecting a sketch with a pattern of points will return double points where the pattern construction geometry is because it's grabbing the construction line vertices as non-construction.

I can probably filter out vertices that belong to construction wires for any use cases I have (like the current one).

I do want to be able to mark a sketch point as construction or not in the sketch editor... Is the reason clear or do I need a more detailed use-case & feature request?
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    Your use case makes sense (you want to distinguish what you want and don't want for certain feature parameters when box-selecting) but I worry that it comes at the cost of complexity.  We will need to think more about this.

For deduplication of endpoints, we have the same issue with the hole feature.  We solve it by using the clusterPoints function in vector.fs and clusterVertexQueries in hole.fs.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc