Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Attach pipe off axis

Hi,   
I'm trying to create this shape.   I can handle the cone.. revolving a sketch, thickening the surface etc, but I'm having trouble with the offset pipe on the side.  I can create a sketch, revolve a pipe, thicken and have it through the middle, but don't know how to get it offset and split it so it's flush with the cone.
Any help?
Thanks!

Answers

• chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    Here's what I did... is it what you're trying to create?   First make a sketch for revolving later, and in that sketch add a reference point to be used as the center of the offset tube. 

Then I revolved this shape to make the cone.  After the revolve, I created a new sketch on the original sketch plane, and added a circle of 55. (This circle could have been placed on the original sketch)

Then I extruded that circle

• chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    edited April 2016
    Then again,  that didn't create an offset tube that's perpendicular to the cone's surface, like it appears the picture shows.  For that you'd need to make a couple chmages to sketch1, create a new plane for the circle sketch, at an angle like the cone's outer surface. 

Then use delete face to get rid of the hump

that looks more like the diagram you posted,  but it's still not exact.  I don't know how to figure this exactly by using OnShape tools, and I'd need to refresh on some geometry skills to figure it manually.  Speaking of which, is that diagram that you posted pulled from a text book?
  • richard_nehrbossrichard_nehrboss Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Chris, I'll have a go at it!
  • SquidLordSquidLord Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    From my reading of the original diagram, it looks as if they mean to imply that the top of the tube is parallel to the top of the cone and the left emergent side is tangent with the side of the cone, in which case this is actually much easier to construct than it might at first appear. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the first example which uses the front plane sketch to put a circle tangent to both the top and the side before extruding it out is exactly what the original diagram shows.

After all, if the tube came out at an angle I would expect some sort of angular measurement – or at least a distance measurement – defining the offset between the mouth of the tube and the top or bottom of the cone. Instead we just have a really badly done pseudo-orthographic projection.