Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create feature from geometry of an imported part

paul_loewenpaul_loewen Member Posts: 1 EDU
Hi,

I have a part that I made in a Parts Studio.  I now want to place 4 holes in this part based on the geometry of a third-party part I have imported.  Is there a simple way of doing this?

I have tried using the imported part as a derived part however I do not get any sketch points to place the holes.  If I try and use a derived sketch, then I can not transform the sketch where I want the holes to be placed.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ paul_loewen , Import the part.Then create another part,which you required in the same part studio(where you imported) so that you can take the reference of imported part to create holes.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @paul_loewen, You can use "transform by mate connector" operation in transform for derived part to get sketch point to place hole in part.
    You also use copy sketch entity option and copy paste option to create sketch point to place hole.
    Kindly refer below video for more detail