Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Happy with Onshape

bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
I just wanted to share, I completed my first design in Onshape. Coming from a free from modelling background it was quite challenging, but overall I have a good feeling about Onshape - I like the basics of it, albeit a bit short on tools to my liking but surely it will come with time. i also like the people and general attitude associated with the product. Very positive, keep it up! Congratulations on a good product in the making...

Comments

• Options
    dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    edited May 2016
    Hi @bert_fourie, thanks for letting us know!  Just a question to help us improve Onshape.   What resources did you use to help you learn Onshape or did you learn it by trial and error?   If you used resources, how would you rate them?  Were they easy to find?  What could be improved?  Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    Hi Dave, 

I worked through all the Onshape tutorials and then took an existing design I had just completed in free form, and re-did it in Onshape.

After completing it and getting it all working in assembly space I was forced to make a material change, which did not go well at all :) So then I re-drew it again but this time with a bit more insight into keeping relationships between parts cleaner.

It took me about a week of intensive design to get reasonably up to speed - which is not bad.

I am now onto a second design. It still takes a while to test all the tools, find the best tool, decide how to set the design parameters etc. but overall I am very excited and happy to be on-board - I think Onshape is a winner - we live in a world now where interconnectivity, collaboration and sharing are key, and I am excited to to be a part of that...  

In terms of improving, the tutorials are understandably around simple parts, and they do not always demonstrate all the options a specific tool offers. Maybe some webinars where more complex situations are worked through and then can be recorded and made available to all would be a great help.

In terms of general improvement I would like to see more tools, both in sketch and direct editing - however I do accept that Onshape is a fresh product and will develop with time.