Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Calculator

bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
It would be very nice to have a floating calculator in the Part Studio - or is there a facility i am not aware of? I know a calculation can be done in the entry fields, but sometimes one would like to do a calc outside of the field.

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    If you have a 3Dconnexion device, there is a built in calculator (https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/achieve-more-with-a-3d-mouse).
    Of course, both MacOS and Windows come with built-in calculators
    AND (drumroll) you can type any arithmetic expression into the parameter input field
    AND when you return to the calculated field, you can see the original expression. :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget Smart Calcs in the Onshape App Store - that could be useful for documenting design criteria.
  • Options
    Yes, I have been considering that - will give it a try. I usually do all my calcs on spreadsheets.

In terms of the calculator I am old school - having used HP RPN for so long I find myself constantly reaching for my cellphone with the HP 41CV app on it :) 
  • Options
    RPN forever!  Which 41CV app do you use on your cell phone?
  • Options
    i41CX from AL Software - how about you?
  • Options
    stg434stg434 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    HP42S by Thomas Okken
  • Options
    I just use a generic RPN calculator.  Got a pile of old HP calculators to choose from here and should probably get rid of them while they still work.  They are easier to use than the smartphone versions so long as one is close at hand.
  • Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    I use Realcalc - I think I had to turn on RPN mode in the settings.