Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Modify a single dimension and having the rest automatically scale to adjust

mike_keanmike_kean Member Posts: 1
Hi, So I need to adjust a single dimension (the width) on my sketch or model while retaining the shape of the design. Basically I want to resize my model based on a specific measurement while not distorting the original shape. For example, if I have a star shape, and the distance between the left and right is 4" but I want it to be 3.5", if I go into the sketch and adjust that measurement, the overall shape becomes distorted. I would like to be able to adjust that amount in a way that the rest of the dimensions will automatically resize accordingly. Another example, if I have a square that is 5" on all sides, I want to resize one side to 4" and have the other sides adjust to retain the shape so in the end all the sides are then 4". The transform tool is useless to me because I cannot be precise in the measurement.

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    It sounds like you want to create dimension relationships which is a great use of Onshape's variables: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/variable.htm

Our variables are very powerful and I have multiple examples I can show you for various situations. I have a design where I have one variable, width, and use it to drive all  the other dimensions of my part so that if I need to make an adjustment, all I have to do is change the width variable.

With good design intent variables are extremely useful.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln