Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rotating sub-assembly during insertion into top level assembly

kev_keegkev_keeg Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Community Support
When I try to rotate a sub-assembly "B" after I insert it into a high level assembly (which already has sub-assembly "A" in it) - the parts of sub-assembly "B" (which is a copy of "A" - I just want to rotate it) change position relative to other parts of sub-assembly "B". They "fly apart" to some extent and that extent depends on where the center of rotation is. I want the relative positions of the items in sub-assembly "B" to stay constant. The purpose can be thought of as the top level assembly is composed of two sub-assemblies, each of which is an assembly of two adjacent sides of a box (with other stuff attached). The result should be symmetric across the diagonal of the box.

Answers

• kev_keegkev_keeg Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    answered my own question from a tutorial vid: ans: use "group" on all part in sub-assy "B" before rotating!