Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Side project : 3d printed camera sreen loupe (public project)

adam_mercieradam_mercier OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
I was searching for a camera loupe for video use that would allow to use a quick relase arca swiss plate and with a fold up design.
Maybe I had too much free time, but it was a good way to get used to using the printer.

Model is available here :https://cad.onshape.com/documents/15548ca756b7e044484525bd/w/7e6b7896489f3bf3767f9903/e/b482a82ab1983e0317be6f20

So far I printed the base and the gray part, and it fits pretty well apart from a few details I need to correct for people interested in printing one.
The glass is from cheap screen loupes available online.

The pink part will be printed in rubber filament, the rest is PLA.

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @adam_mercier - This is awesome - we love it! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty phenomenal.  What 3D printer are you using?
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @adam_mercier ,  Nice work :)

• Options
    adam_mercieradam_mercier OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Finished printing the first iteration, the hinge design did not work out at all, I underestimated the needed clearance for the printing process.

So I worked on a different simpler design (V2 now) Also the Arca Swiss plate design I found online was not working out with the clamps I own so I had to increase the dovetail width.

The red part is not quite working, because the small clamps are solicited in the printing layer direction if I print the part flat, so I would need to find something. I tried to print it vertically but it did not quite work out.

The eye cup printed in rubber fialement is pretty slick!

I had to manually fix a number of small problems/errors on the CAD side for example when I extuded surfaces for the eye cup, I had a gap between the two mirrored surfaces that I had to fill in with a Loft command.

I will have to print some of those new files soon!