Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to loft between two sketches?

David_65David_65 Member Posts: 3
I am trying to create a seashell shape.  I have a sketch for the bottom and top of the seashell.  How can I loft between Sketch2 and Sketch3 in the following: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/52af3097d9aed624ceb746a2/w/4660b3800029b12935a9bcee/e/2a10943ff5b21a6d649e2720 

I don't understand the error message on this loft where it "could not determine the direction."  I have also seen an error that said that there was too many loops, or something like that.  The most recent error is that there is a "self-intersecting body."

Is there a resource where all of these error messages are described with examples?  That would really help.

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @David_65 You created sketch #2 from the face of the base. The base is smaller than your sketch and therefore I believe that it creates some undesirable results in which I can't explain. But by creating a plane with an offset of zero from that face and using that plane instead of the face of the base I was able to get it to work. HTH

_Ðave_
  • Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    edited May 2016
    David_65 said:
    I am trying to create a seashell shape.  I have a sketch for the bottom and top of the seashell.  How can I loft between Sketch2 and Sketch3 in the following: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/52af3097d9aed624ceb746a2/w/4660b3800029b12935a9bcee/e/2a10943ff5b21a6d649e2720 

I don't understand the error message on this loft where it "could not determine the direction."  I have also seen an error that said that there was too many loops, or something like that.  The most recent error is that there is a "self-intersecting body."

Is there a resource where all of these error messages are described with examples?  That would really help.

<<<<Edit to add:  Ok, I just read _Dave_'s reply after wrote this up.  He had it solved already.  You can use the link below to see it working at least>>>>

It's still a mystic art to make lofts happen for me.  I sometimes end up throwing ideas at the problem until it gets resolved and actually produces a valid loft.  The more lofts that I make, the quicker I can resolve the issue next time.  That's why I keep trying to answer loft questions like yours (So I can draw my own lofts better)

Here's what I did to make a loft work with your document:  Put sketch 2 on its own plane, instead of putting it on the face of your base block.  It doesn't seem to make logical sense because the "plane 2" that I created is offset 0 from the same face of that block... so it should be the same as drawing that sketch directly on the face of the block, right?   But now the sketch works for the loft.

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @David_65, This is happening because you created sketch 2 on the face of the base. If you create any sketch by selecting sketching plane as face of body then it contains multiple cross section. Here sketch 2 contains 9 closed cross-section. Currently Loft is not possible for sketch which contains multiple cross-section.You can solve this issue by creating plane on face of base which is 0 inch offset from face of base. Then select this newly created plane as sketching plane for sketch 2 . Now you can able to perform loft operation.
    Kindly refer below video for more detail.