Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can Young Students create their own account?

john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
I am a Design & Technology teacher in Australia. I am about to start a new unit where the students use drawing boards to draw the project, before starting the prac  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXiuyb3-iI
Question 1: Can young students (Year 7 in Australia about 11 to 13 years ) create their own account if they have  a school email address.??? Tinker CAD they could not.  
Question 2: We are an ipad school. So do you think an 11 year old could draw the 2 D model plane in the link (above)

Best Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi John,

I don't think there should be any problem with the students creating an account. However sometime they maybe locked out from using Onshape on the schools network. You will just have to make sure cad.onshape.com is available for them to have access with your IT department. 

If you start them with a simple sketch like the plane, could be a bit tricky for some as their are quite a few constraints to add to get it full defined. I.e turning all the line to black however would be a good challenge and some would crack it in no time. Once the side profile is drawn you could then get them to extrude it and make a drawing with dimensions.  Certainly all posible on an iPad with the touch screen however I'd prefer to us the browser based version with a mouse. 

Heres a start for your plane project https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a6c1ae599c38d130a4989d5b/w/46b23255b4d5d5b34cd2dbe0/e/e6d6c9b640e9c7f4def08d74
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks both of you for such good service. I have sent  this question to compliance@onshape.com. We will see.
    cheers
    johnD
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Answer ✓
    @austin_haywardhave them check their spam/junk email filters.

If they are not receiving activation emails to complete registration, could your IT department be blocking the email? If this is the case, you can whitelist our IP / domain.

To whitelist Onshape email notifications:

Domain: outbound-email.onshape.com

IP address: 167.89.77.213

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi John,

I don't think there should be any problem with the students creating an account. However sometime they maybe locked out from using Onshape on the schools network. You will just have to make sure cad.onshape.com is available for them to have access with your IT department. 

If you start them with a simple sketch like the plane, could be a bit tricky for some as their are quite a few constraints to add to get it full defined. I.e turning all the line to black however would be a good challenge and some would crack it in no time. Once the side profile is drawn you could then get them to extrude it and make a drawing with dimensions.  Certainly all posible on an iPad with the touch screen however I'd prefer to us the browser based version with a mouse. 

Heres a start for your plane project https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a6c1ae599c38d130a4989d5b/w/46b23255b4d5d5b34cd2dbe0/e/e6d6c9b640e9c7f4def08d74
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    The students all have ipads and school email. I believe there should be no problem with students accessing Tinker Cad or Onshape  from the school network only that IT may have to allow access for just those 2 web applications. If that were the  case, is there a system in Onshape to allow/create a Class, site or access area? because of the under age thing?
    Thanks for your prompt reply both.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks both of you for such good service. I have sent  this question to compliance@onshape.com. We will see.
    cheers
    johnD
  • Options
    Hi John,

Yes I think you are right. I will have to leave it until I get more confident myself. Learning curve is always steep for very different CAD programs...thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    austin_haywardaustin_hayward Member Posts: 1
    Hello My students are having problems creating an account with their school email.  Is there any solution to create accounts for the students.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Answer ✓
    @austin_haywardhave them check their spam/junk email filters.

If they are not receiving activation emails to complete registration, could your IT department be blocking the email? If this is the case, you can whitelist our IP / domain.

To whitelist Onshape email notifications:

Domain: outbound-email.onshape.com

IP address: 167.89.77.213

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI