Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I change the color of an imported part in an assembly?

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
When I import a part it appears on its own tab. I can go to that tab and change the part color, but the color change doesn't appear on that part in the assembly.

Best Answer

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jon_woellhaf , In my case it is working fine.Kindly check by below step method,
    Step 1: Open assembly which part color you want to change.
    Step 2: Right click on part which color you want to change.
    Step 3: Click on switch to respected part studio tab.
    Step 4: Now you have to change part appearance in part studio.
    Step 5: Check in assembly studio it will reflect part color in assembly.
    Kindly refer below video for more detail.

If color is not changing referring above method then you can raise this issue to Onshape support team.

Answers

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jon_woellhaf , In my case it is working fine.Kindly check by below step method,
    Step 4: Now you have to change part appearance in part studio.
    Step 5: Check in assembly studio it will reflect part color in assembly.
    Kindly refer below video for more detail.

If color is not changing referring above method then you can raise this issue to Onshape support team.
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ jon_woellhaf, If you are importing one part to Onshape and use the same part for assembly then changing color in part studio will change the color of part in assembly.
    Where you created assembly ? is it in the same document ?
    Is that assembly imported one?
  • jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    viru said:

Step 3 was the key for me. Thanks! I can now change part colors.

Jon

• Alan_HongAlan_Hong Member Posts: 3
    While this works fine, I'd like to be able to individually color different instances of the same part. In my case specifically, I'd like to apply unique colors to certain faces of select instances.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    You can configure the part to have different instances have different colors. You can also configure face colors.

I personally find the standard way of doing this to be frustrating and ended up writing a custom FeatureScript for my company.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/13663/part-appearance-can-we-configure-it-like-a-feature-not-a-property
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18765/setproperty-propertytype-appearance-face-vs-part-priority