Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

View only links appears to work perfectly in windows 10 Microsoft Edge?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
Anyone notice that the view only links appear to work perfectly in windows 10 Microsoft Edge?
Actually full featured Onshape seems to work too.
Is this officially supported?
There is not message saying unsupported browser at login.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Looks like the PDF viewer does not work correctly in Edge. Just spins.

This is actually a big problem. If they go to Edge from a shared link and they can't see the terms of use PDF then they enter the page without agreeing to the terms of use.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    OpenR2 said:
    Anyone notice that the view only links appear to work perfectly in windows 10 Microsoft Edge?
    Actually full featured Onshape seems to work too.
    Is this officially supported?
    There is not message saying unsupported browser at login.
    If I remember correctly, Microsoft Edge has problems with iframes which is how things like PDFs are displayed in Onshape.  If you like, I can attach you to a ticket to track this issue.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Is Edge an officially supported browser for Onshape? If not....shouldn't it error out and say not supported like with IExplorer?
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited May 2016
    OpenR2 said:
    Is Edge an officially supported browser for Onshape? If not....shouldn't it error out and say not supported like with IExplorer?
    Hi OpenR2,

Edge is not an officially tested and supported browser, a list of browsers that we look at and recommend for using.  That doesn't mean it has been added to our not supported list like Internet Explorer.  There are many many browsers out there, many of which work perfectly fine (I personally use Maxthon for my personal browsing) and simply putting up a big message saying to use a different browser isn't always the appropriate message.  Through testing, we know that Internet Explorer didn't have WebGL fully supported and the result was a near unusable product.  Edge has mostly ironed these issues out and works fine in the graphics area.

We will look into listing Edge as unsupported.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    OpenR2 said:

This is actually a big problem. If they go to Edge from a shared link and they can't see the terms of use PDF then they enter the page without agreeing to the terms of use.
    This (terms of use) is really fascinating. Given that the design will cross international borders, and will (since this is CAD and not blender or some-such purely visual medium) probably be reproduced in physical form, you are straddling a heck of a lot of boundaries in law. Add Disney's lawyers into the mix and it gets really interesting.

I'm really curious what those terms of use could be and what part of them you could reasonably hope to enforce?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sharing design files that allow the customization of purchased licensed lucasfilm props to be more screen accurate is fair use.
    Reproduction in physical form by an individual for that individuals use is 100% fair use and protected by copyright law.
    There are absolutely no copyright issues with building anything in physical form by the individual for individual use.

Selling that physical form unlicensed is of course something a copyright holder could pursue.
    That is not the case here.
    Can I ask that you to edit that previous post to remove the statement that I am straddling a heck of a lot of boundaries in law.
    That is simply not the case.

The purpose of this terms of use is to 100% clearly identify that there is content on this page that is copyrighted work of third parties.
  • Options
    Several posts have been made about how to put terms up for the use of shared data.
    The solution offered was to put a terms page in the document.
    If the terms document is left the active tab....it is supposed to show up as the active tab when viewed by someone using the link?
    Isn't this the functionality that was documented last release?
  • Options
    These images show my document with the terms of use page active.
    Then is shows testing the link on a third party iPhone...and the link is not show by default.
    This is not expected behavior correct?

• Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I think you misunderstood. I was not challenging whether something you are doing is legal or not; I assumed legal.

I was curious what terms of use you might have in the document you have shared. What are you trying to force the users of your work to do?

By boundaries I meant that copyright law and patent law (in the US at least, I think design patents would be used to deal with physical reproduction) are different areas of law, and each country has different rules surrounding each. Presumably you are issuing a license to each person that you share your link with that says they can do stuff that is different than the default provided by law (you don't need terms of use otherwise). So that adds contract law to the mix. If you don't negotiate the contract with each person you share with, then it's a shrinkwrap contract which may or may not accomplish what you want.

It all seems very complicated to navigate. I was just curious.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Traveler.

>
    What are you trying to force the users of your work to do?

Acknowledge that there is content on this page that is copyrighted work of third parties being used under fair use.

> It all seems very complicated to navigate

In past post folks have asked Onshape for a solution for TOS
    The suggested method using existing infrastructure was to post a tab with the terms.
    A version or two ago, I believe based on a suggestion from the user community on this topic, the active tab was made sticky so that folks could force a desired entry presentation.

So back to Onshape....

The forced tab does not appear to work on the iPhone
    The viewing of the PDF does not appear to work in the edge browser.
    Regardless of the philosophy of what I am doing with the functionality....the functionality was announced and is supported....but it seems to have bugs. 

• Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    I don't think the tab functionality works quite like what you are thinking.

It used to be that a document always opened with the first tab opened up.
    In the latest version, the last tab that you were viewing is the one that opens up.

It's not really making the tab permanently 'sticky', just temporarily 'sticky' between sessions.
    So if you were viewing a different tab than the TOS before closing the document, the next time you opened it, it would show that tab and not the TOS.
  • Options
    Robert,

I did realize that the tabs were just "how you left it last" so I was in the habit of making a copy of documents I wanted to share and not touching them after I made the TOS tab permanent. That should work?
  • Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    I would think so, yes.
    Perhaps there is an issue with the phone app that it's not showing the correct tab.

Actually, I just checked a document with my Android phone and it always comes with the first tab selected. Not sure for iPhone.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Which is not working as advertised? So this seems to be a bug?
  • Options
    Just for another data point, using the view-only link share gives me exactly the tab I specify. This works on the browser and in Android for me.

Since the tab is specified as part of the link, if you are getting redirected that's probably a bug of some sort.

Note that you will be given a different link depending on which tab is open when you create the link. It's easy to modify manually to point to one tab or another.

In the following onshape url, everything after the /e/ is the tab. Make your link and then cut and paste the tab you want to open there. (Or just make the link when the TOS tab is active).

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/47a4d745edd94562829ebae0/w/794cc7d251cd4ce2bd4edf15/e/08f24fb0bc9c4c4ca598fa4f