Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Import Pack and GO Option

song_jaybisong_jaybi OS Professional, Developers Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Using Onshape
I was used to Solidworks. So sometimes I import my SW assay. 
I think this option is needed. 
Now we have two option "Imported models are in 'Y Axis Up' coordinates" and "Import file to Part Studios only(flatten)".

How about this option "to create part studio for each part on Import."?

Comments

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ song_jaybi , If you have zip file which created from solid works by zip and go option.then you can Import that zip file in to Onshape. so that all the part will be imported to new part studios.
  • Options
    song_jaybisong_jaybi OS Professional, Developers Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I want to import separately part studios.
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ song_jaybi, sorry for the confusion , what i mean is you can get the parts and sub-assemblies you used to create that part will be in separate part studio.
    For example.if your main assembly contains 2 sub-assemblies and 3 parts.then after uploading you will get 3 assembly tabs(2 sub-assemblies and 1 main assembly) and 3 part studio.

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @song_jaybi, kindly refer below information which is taken from Onshape help document. It will help to clear all your doubt regarding Importing of CAD files.

Processing CAD files

When Onshape recognizes an imported file as a CAD file (based on its file extension), Onshape automatically presents processing options. You can also choose to export to another format from a context menu for an entire Part Studio (including hidden parts), or for a particular part selected from the parts list. Onshape checks a zip file for supported assembly files with the same name as the zip file. When zipping assembly files for import into Onshape, you can zip the files individually, or zip an entire directory. Keep in mind that when zipping an entire directory, the zip file must have the same name as the assembly (minus the extension) and you must not rename the zip file.

For more information, see Exporting Files.

When importing a CAD file, you have the following processing options:

• Imported models are in 'Y Axis Up' coordinates - If the file was created in a system that orients with Y Axis Up, the models would by default be brought into Onshape (a Z axis up system) with a flipped coordinate system. Check this box to reorient the axis system to match Onshape and display the model with the coordinates you expect.
    • Import file to Part Studios only (flatten) - If the file is an assembly, or contains an assembly, you have the option to import it as only a Part Studio, by selecting the Flatten option. In this case, the assembly is flattened to a set of parts in a Part Studio. There will be duplicate parts created whenever a part is instanced more than once.

flatten imported assemblies option

The automatic processing happens only for files that Onshape can translate. All other files are simply imported into a tab.