Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Lighten THEN hex infill - trying to hex infill a previously lightened area

tom_jellytom_jelly Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Community Support
I've got a hockey puck shaped part I've hollowed the bottom out of using lighten featurescript function, now I want to do a hex infill with the hex infill featurescript function on the hollowed out part.  The hex infill dialog box only will allow me to select the entire part, then just prints a hex pattern over the bottom plane.  Is there a way to fill that cavity with hex?  Or do I skip the lighten and go direct to hex infill and if so I'm not sure how to do that either as I have a few bolt holes that need bosses inside the infill area...

Best Answer

Answers

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    When using hex infill, be sure to turn off the HexPreview option to actually get the infill.  Hope this helps.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • tom_jellytom_jelly Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    thanks for the tip but now it draws the hex on the entire part in red, "unable to generate with current wall thickness" and I am still unable to select the cavity or any surface of the cavity and have it filled, only the whole part...
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @tom_jelly Hello and thank you for your support of Onshape and thank you for using FeatureScript!
    The Hex Infill feature (along with all the other samples provided) include documentation to help you (pasted below).

In your specific requested, the error message relates to an inability to shell the part with the selected wall thickness. If you look at the documentation, you will see that the only prerequisite is an ability to shell the part with the desired wall thickness (you can test this yourself prior to applying the Infill feature just by shelling the part and selecting the 'hollow' option). 

A number of people have commented that the feature 'only' creates a sketch - this is true. The default state is with the 'preview' button checked. This enables you to vary and select the desired hex size without waiting for each change to regenerate. Because this operation can involve a large number of operations (several per hex), bear in mind that the regeneration times can be significant and climb with the number of cells. When the Hex layout/density is to your liking, uncheck the preview box.

If you are still having difficulty, please feel free to post a public link to your document and any number of people (myself included - i am the author of the feature), would be more than happy to help you.

Again thank you for your support of Onshape.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • tom_jellytom_jelly Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info, but I'm still unable to get it to work.   On this sample:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c8579adc39a254c6e163be23/w/41fb1701ac1e0db3fd91d561/e/cd419403242997e62ce9a569
    I can only get a projection of hex, in red, on the entire part. (or a hex sketch on a plane tangent to the OD of the part)  What I desire is to fill in the pocket with hex, after the cavity has been removed.  Not sure if this is what your feature has been designed to do, maybe that is why I am having a problem?  I don't seem to be able to select an area (the cavity) to apply the infill to...
    thanks so much for sharing the feature, apologies for my inability to figure out how to do this...https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c8579adc39a254c6e163be23/w/41fb1701ac1e0db3fd91d561/e/cd419403242997e62ce9a569
    tom

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Tom - Lots going on here so let's delve in.
    The feature is written to hollow out a part for 3D printing. 
    For that reason, the cell alignment is (as currently written) aligned with the Z axis.
    To work with your part, i used transform-by-mate-connector to position and orient the part more suitably.

This first example shows that this custom feature does work with your part (even though it doesn't sound like it's exactly what you're looking for.

Moving on - to get (what i think) you're looking for, takes a few more features and a little bit of understanding about what's going on.
    I created a second (separate) part that represents the volume you actually want to create the infill for. After applying the custom feature, i simply cut off the top and booleaned the two parts together.

Both of these examples are in this public document for you to play with.
    I hope this helps and i am happy to answer any questions.

:)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5751e2aae4b053149a3d94f8/w/0cd4db8ed33a9d2f29f4c149/e/dda08f946b5dd68f744b3a6e
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Tom - life is easier than you think! :)
    The second part i referred to was created in the same part studio (although it could have been created in any part studio). One of the main benefits of Onshape is this parts studio concept that can create any number of inter-related parts. There is no need to make an assembly. If you look at the document i shared you can see how i did this.
    If you did create the second part in an alternate part-studio, you would again likely need to use transform-by-mate-connector - please ask if you do not understand how this works.

I hope this helps - Philip . . . 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape