Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Linear Pattern" type assembly?

janne_kronbäckjanne_kronbäck Member Posts: 2
Hi,

So, for the purpose of this question, let's say I create a simple framing out of "2x4"s. (Two long 2x4s to which I want to attach other 2x4s @ CC60).
In part studio, it's easy to use "linear pattern" and sketch and create a "frame" of these parts.

Not only have I now created all the parts, but they already happen to be "assembled" in Part Studio.

How would I go about to:
a) Simply mate these parts as they are
b) Create the same frame out of the same, but "loose parts" - in Assembly?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @janne_kronbäck, Kindly refer the below video steps to mate your requirement.

• "Shift" key used from keyboard to select all part quickly.
    • "Group" feature is helpful to fix all part in one stances exactly same position of part studio.
    If your requirement is other than this kindly feel free to mention in forum.
  • Options
    ethanethan Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 24
    It may also be easier to to do what Viru said, but then move into another assembly Tab and insert the past assembly into that tab as many times as you need it! 
  • Options
    janne_kronbäckjanne_kronbäck Member Posts: 2
    @viru: Okay, so "group" can be regarded as a "mate" in every practical sense?
    I did try to change the sketch a bit, and the assembly looked right afterwards, too.
    This answers my first question very well! Thanks a lot!

@ethan: I'm not sure if you interpreted 'b)' in a way that made you write what you did, but I regard it as a good bonus anyway! :+1:
    However, what I did mean though was that if the imported parts did not come neatly placed, and I needed to do a mate like above (such as "attach this 2x4 1/3rd in", or "every 60cm"), is this possible (or meaningful), or are incoming parts supposed to have some kind of geometry (?) intended for mating?
  • Options
    cj_horeckycj_horecky Member Posts: 2
    No answers?