Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do you prevent parts such as gears from moving through each other in an assembly when rototatin?

joshua_chajoshua_cha Member Posts: 1
I'm having trouble preventing my parts that rotate from  moving through each other any solutions to this?

Answers

• Options
    seaelemseaelem Member, Developers Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Hi Joshua,

As I understand it one of the key things about using OnShape is when to use Part Studios vs. Assemblies.  See the link to a tech tip blog article which does a good job of explaining.

The answer of course is "motion".  When you want parts to move relative to each other you should use an assembly rather than the part studio.

So assuming that you do use an assembly, there's a handy "Gear relation" tool for doing exactly what you're after in the tool bar at the top - see red circled area in the screenshot below.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Carl.