Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Broken view section drawing

david_banmandavid_banman Member Posts: 3
Is there a tool already in the drawing like Inventor or Solidworks have it (broken view/ Break Lines), if you have a long tube and want just cut out a piece so it fits in the drawing but the dimension reflect still the whole length? 

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    +1 That's an important request that I've been waiting for also, hopefully we'll get it soon!
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373

We don't have a "broken view" command yet. The strategy I would recommend until we do is to create a full view at a very small scale (like 0.035:1 if on a B size) and then create 1:2 detail views on the ends (and on any interesting parts of the middle). The detail views can be moved to other sheets and made even larger (1:1) if necessary.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 540
    We understand the needs for Broken views and we are working on it.  
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 540
    Potentially another work-around for users is to create a derived part in a new part studio and to cut the middle section out of a long part and then perform a transform to move them together.  The downside in a drawing that uses this part, is that dimensions across the break would not indicate the true length of the part, but at least a view of a long part could fit within a standard sheet size at a reasonable scale size.
  • peter_kratschpeter_kratsch Member Posts: 2 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    Potentially another work-around for users is to create a derived part in a new part studio and to cut the middle section out of a long part and then perform a transform to move them together.  The downside in a drawing that uses this part, is that dimensions across the break would not indicate the true length of the part, but at least a view of a long part could fit within a standard sheet size at a reasonable scale size.
    Yeah... I think the root problem with that work around is that true broken views have a gap in the break and break lines. Not having broken views is a real show stopper for me because so much of the work I do is medical device related. Picture how a drawing of a 4 foot long 1/8" diam. tube would look like on a 8.5x11 sheet.

I know you guys are working hard and it's very much appreciated, hopefully this ends up in one of the releases in the near future.

This may be something I could fudge in feature script. :)