Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL export settings explanation

JlabsJlabs Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I'm a bit unclear what each of the settings in the "custom" STL export mean. It's unclear what they control (could the labels be updated to provide more insight?), and it's not in the OnShape documentation, can someone explain what each custom setting controls?

Angular deviation: From what? Is this controlling the minimum or maximum angle to determine where additional triangles are added? Is lower or higher create a higher resolution STL file?

Chordal tolerance: I can see it's in the selected units, but tolerance of what?

Minimum facet width: Is that the smallest a triangle can be? Would setting a maximum width more directly control the file resolution?

Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    thomas_buechnerthomas_buechner Member Posts: 2
    Jason_66,
    I am trying to understand the same settings. I was able to find a webpage that explains Chordal Tolerance pretty well.
    http://www.padtinc.com/blog/additive-mfg/stl-file-tolerance-a-short-explanation-of-faceting-and-chord-height
    Let me know if you get answers to the other STL settings.