Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Part name and properties

emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can we get and set the part name and their properties
Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                     Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    Not at this time.  We plan to make setting part properties possible in the future, but getting interactively-set part properties will be unlikely because they are assigned to parts after regeneration is complete, and thus not accessible in the middle of regeneration (when custom features are executing).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    vic_sanchezvic_sanchez Member, Developers Posts: 1
    Hola, Eduardo.  Me llamo Vic y soy co-fundador de openBoM (www.openbom.com).  Somos partners de Onshape.  Los temas que tocas me parecen interesante y creo que valiera la pena una conversación.  Me puedes contactar directamente:  vic@openbom.com

Dos artículos que quizás te interesen:

Saludos,

Vic
  • Options
    Dylan_StewartDylan_Stewart Member, Developers Posts: 107 PRO
    @ilya_baran What about set name/description/material properties at a profile level, then when the profile is called in a part studio it will automatically bring all of the properties over with it? 
    Digital Engineering
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    @Dylan_Stewart
    Do you mean like you set the material on a sketch profile and then when you extrude it the resulting part will have that material?  That seems doable, but we have not thought about that...  Or did you mean something else (like something with the user profile)?
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Dylan_StewartDylan_Stewart Member, Developers Posts: 107 PRO
    @ilya_baran Yes, exactly. The sketch/profile in a part studio would hold all the data. Then, like mentioned above, when the profile is called it will bring over the information. 

Say I am building a desk, and I have numerous leg profiles. I would like to be able to have a library of leg profiles and be able to name each of them (leg1, leg2, leg3.....) This would be a tremendous help for BOM. It would also eliminate the possibility of typos. 
    Digital Engineering
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @ilya_baran @Dylan_Stewart. I love this idea and have thought about the same thing myself, I was imagining an FS created extrude function that has a drop down with all my factories stock material's  ie. everything we cut on our laser, as I chose the stock, the thickness of the extrude is set, the material (for mass properties, FEA, etc) is set and the material stock code (used in BOM) is added. 

We just need a stock material/items section built into Onshape that is also compatible with properties for BOM's.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977