Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is it possble to select a plane for projecting a drawing view?

I have found a work-around for now in the "Aux View" button, however, it woud be more intuitive and more versitle/ powerful I think to have a way to select any plane to project a drawing view. Does this feature already exist?  If not, how about adding all planes to the pulldown option in the "add view" command, and not just the three default planes?

(If this is only availible in the professional version, another reason to go pro.)

I personally would also find it easier to select TWO planes in this pulldown menu... it may be becuase I learned on PROE 2000 I back in the day... but maybe it's a great idea too:
IE: select the normal plane for the new view, and then select the plane that will point right (or left, or up) in order to fully constrain the new entity. 

Answers

• adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    This does not exist, but it would be really nice if it did, especially for users (like me) who have to work with different axis orientations on a per-client basis (Z-up X-forward in the automotive industry, for example).
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @travis_pettengill @adamohern  In your cases, would there a be a need to define this view per part in the part studio?  Or would a generic control on the entire part studio be enough?
    Both!
    @adamohern:  Thought so.  Thanks.
    Would you two also like the ability to change the default view orientations, or is that not desired - just a need to augment/save more view orientations?
    Oh yes, changing the default is very important.
    This relates very strongly to sketch orientation, btw. If you do Z-up in SW, for example, the sketch engine still considers Y to be the canonical up axis, thus forcing your horizontal and vertical constraints to be semantically switched. Your sketches are all sidways in a Z-up SW file.

In more powerful systems like CATIA or NX you can define an x-direction for your planes and sketches, thus re-orienting them as needed. This kind of override in addition to a more sensible default would be a big help.
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Here is a tool I made to make it easier to change the part orientation for drawing views: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b63f9e9c92367c69d7ace604/w/c1f9e7131e97be091137c835/e/d0e62c5c65e6e4c298bf390c
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln