Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why is top panel truncated in my assembly?

michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO

Hey there, can anyone help me solve a problem?  See: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6d16ccd579e3780a766bb971/w/02933cd4fb2dc81806672180/e/f31dbd210dabdbcb97a611bd

If you look at the top plate sketch, it measures 17.5” x 17.5”.  I extruded it to ¼”, then built the subsequent panels after first creating new planes for those panels.  At some point along the way, the top panel appears ¼” shy of meeting the front panel.  I check the sketch, the extrusion, the front plane, and I can see no errors, and yet still the panel will not close.

This is the second time this has happened on 2 different box assemblies, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it, or why it happened in the first place.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    It's not public, so I can't see exactly how the planes are created. Also, I don't see the 1/4" gap that you're talking about in the shared file.  As a result, it's very difficult to speculate as to what the issue might be.  

If I were constructing the same object, I would avoid all the additional planes and base my sketches directly off of the surfaces of the original 17.5"x17.5" panel, that way you guarantee that their location is always referenced correctly from the initial piece.  Also if these parts are all symmetrical, using the mirror function keep things a bit cleaner.  Depending on how you've designed your holes in the sketches, it might be easier to avoid extruding them in the first place or just marking them using a vertex and actually using the hole command to create them, that way their size can be adjusted dynamically.    
  • Options
    Thanks Daniel.  If I don't create a plane, how does one make a sketch on a plane offset from the origin?  Is there a way to offset from a plane?
  • Options
    Hi Daniel,  Thanks a lot.  I tried this method; much easier than my approach and less problematic!  Also, that hole feature is new to me.  Pretty cool for sure.  Thanks again.  -Michael
  • Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    The hole feature is superb... It has all the standard and metric hole sizes built in and you can select weather you want clearance holes or holes for tapping. Not to mention the counterbore and countersink parameters.   
  • Options
    I'll have to explore that feature more!