Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I add a feature (i.e. a hole) directly in an assembly, not in the component parts?

josh_lindsayjosh_lindsay Member Posts: 3
I am designing a table, the top of which is made by laminating a bunch of strips of wood (11 total of 3 different widths, each of which is created as a part in the part studio.  The legs will bolt into threaded inserts in the underside of the tabletop.  The legs have counterbored holes for socket head cap screws.  In actual construction I will locate the holes for the threaded inserts by locating the legs onto the table and drilling pilot holes.  I want to include the holes in the CAD model for completeness.  What I don't want to do is to go back and create separate parts for the strips that have holes in them, and there is actually a pretty good chance that the holes will hit at joints between two strips.  Therefore, I want to just add the holes to the tabletop assembly.  When I open that assembly, OnShape doesn't give me the options to add sketches or extrusions, at least not in a way that I can find.  

Best Answer

Answers

• josh_lindsayjosh_lindsay Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.  I actually did create all the parts in one part studio and love that capability.  The problem here is that I have a few examples of designs where I need to assemble parts and then machine the assembly afterward.  In the current example, I am using multiple instances of the same part, and only a subset of them will be affected by the machining. This leaves me with having to create different parts for the ones that will have the machined features, as well as essentially having to create the entire assembly within the part studio.  
    How do I raise an improvement request?
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Would it be helpful to suppress the features that will only be added after assembly?  Configurations might be another option but those aren't available (yet).
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    josh_lindsay,click feedback then raise your improvement request

1.JPG 122.2K
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    michael3424, maybe we can not take your method, after creating an assembly, could you always make these features you mentioned  suppress ? after unsuppressing, all these parts will change in the assembly.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    @shanshan - thanks, I'd just assumed that would work.
  • 3D3D OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Have you tried taking your assembled component and opening a new part studio, then use the "Derived" function to import  the assembled part studio into the new part studio. You will then be able to work with it just like any other parts.

You may need to use "Transform"  & possibly a number of times to re position it to where you want it to be.

Trust that helps you to achieve what you want to.