Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

High school teacher looking for help

clark_bliskeclark_bliske Member Posts: 1
I"m looking for some simple sample drawings of woodworking projects to inspire my students to buy into the design phase of their project more than just doing google image searches and showing me a photo of what they want to build.  My students are all using Chromebooks, so I love the access they would have...but I'm getting a bit overwhelmed going through the tutorials and trying to get myself...".52 year old dinosaur" up to speed using it before next school year roles around.

Answers

• Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    A simple search would be the best way to find simple woodworking projects in Onshape I think.   If you're going to recommend that your students use Onshape to design projects you'll probably have to learn the design process well enough to create simple projects yourself.

Personally, I find the Onshape YouTube videos to be a bit dry.  They're more focused on industrial users it seems.  The YouTube user "3DDC" had a few good intro movies but he hasn't produced anything in a while.  Honestly, it might just be easier to slog through the design process a few times following tutorials.  

The key to a good design starting with a properly constrained sketch.  Make a rough sketch of the general shapes using the center point rectangle as your starting point,  and then use the dimension command to define the sizes of everything (outside dimensions, cutouts, hole locations, any radii). The horizontal, vertical and coincident constraints are also very useful.  Also, practice using construction lines.  They can really help to make your sketches cleaner as you add complexity to your project.  Finally, I have personally found the use command very helpful for the creation of your second or third sketches.  

After a quick search I found the following coat rack.  Tongue and groove construction which is good for school woodworking. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ead44e61a46b4a3391aa7bf4/w/e85ec764e5fa47bf831dcdab/e/c35f0da241804eedb3c41969

This tutorial/video is well above your level, but I thought it was quite interesting when I first saw it.  
    http://www.solidsmack.com/cad/everything-you-need-to-know-about-featurescript/
  • Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @clark_bliske, Kindly visit below thread which include many getting started videos with Onshape. I have personally found that use of below video is helpful to learn Onshape quickly.
    https://www.onshape.com/video-getting-started-with-onshape