Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parts Per Studio

shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Community Support
I'm new to MCAD and starting to learn with onshape.  One thing I'm not clear on and haven't found guidance is how many parts in one part studio.  When I watch the video tutorials, I see that there's usually several different unrelated parts in one studio, rather than 1 part per studio.

So is there any best practices out there I should be aware of?
Should I be putting like parts in one studio?  IE all the 2020 aluminium extrusions in one part studio and a separate one for all bushings?
My worry is too many parts in one studio would complicate editing those individual parts.

Found these two posts that give some direction.  But still not clear on how many parts should be in one studio:
http://www.solidsmack.com/cad/onshape-part-studio-vs-multibody-is-there-a-difference/
https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-part-studios-vs.-assemblies

Thank you for the guidance!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    hi @shai_perednik actually there is no such rule for how many parts should be in one part studio. Generally if someone need to design some of the parts in a product with high level of accuracy while assembling together then it is always best practice to create in one part studio. With this practice one can create common features at common locations of multiple parts which assures exact alignment. As an example we can take upper and lower housings of shaft bearing where we can put some common holes for screws, dowels for alignment. It can be precisely done when these two parts are created in single part studio as per assembly position.
    Another approach is used for designing the product by creating number of sub-assemblies. Consider a machine tool product (Lathe) made up of number of assemblies such as Longitudinal slide, Cross slide, Headstock, Tailstock etc. For each sub-assembly you can create a part studio and create the parts according to their positions which helps very much when sub-assembly is being created.
    But with this approach suppose feature list becomes too complex to handle, user can create remaining parts in another part studio for simplification.

Answers

• Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I think you can arrange all parts by yourself, at this point,.there is no big difference between Onshape and some traditional software like proe , NX and so on. if you create many parts in one part studio, this method is called "top-down",when you create new parts ,you can get reference from the previous parts.you can create parts of every sub assembly in every part studio, you also can insert  parts from other part studio even other documents by "derived" features, it is very flexible. 
  • Options
    shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    shanshan said:
    I think you can arrange all parts by yourself, at this point,.there is no big difference between Onshape and some traditional software like proe , NX and so on. if you create many parts in one part studio, this method is called "top-down",when you create new parts ,you can get reference from the previous parts.you can create parts of every sub assembly in every part studio, you also can insert  parts from other part studio even other documents by "derived" features, it is very flexible. 
    Thank you for the details and I gathered the same from the links I found.  However, I'm stll unclear how many parts should be in one studio.  For example, if a 2020 alu extrusion will never touch a bearing, should they be in the same part studio?

I get that if the parts relate to eachother then they can be, and then an assembly is used to show motion.  That part makes sense.

Re derived, I still have to look into this.
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    hi @shai_perednik actually there is no such rule for how many parts should be in one part studio. Generally if someone need to design some of the parts in a product with high level of accuracy while assembling together then it is always best practice to create in one part studio. With this practice one can create common features at common locations of multiple parts which assures exact alignment. As an example we can take upper and lower housings of shaft bearing where we can put some common holes for screws, dowels for alignment. It can be precisely done when these two parts are created in single part studio as per assembly position.
    Another approach is used for designing the product by creating number of sub-assemblies. Consider a machine tool product (Lathe) made up of number of assemblies such as Longitudinal slide, Cross slide, Headstock, Tailstock etc. For each sub-assembly you can create a part studio and create the parts according to their positions which helps very much when sub-assembly is being created.
    But with this approach suppose feature list becomes too complex to handle, user can create remaining parts in another part studio for simplification.