Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SolidWorks' Arrogance

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
I had this interesting email conversation today:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 14:32
To: <redacted> 
Subject: Are you interested? Today Only SolidWorks CAD Savings

Hello Jon,

We are currently offering 35% off on all new SOLIDWORKS software purchases TODAY ONLY!! 

Please Contact me if your interested in taking advantage of these savings. 

Thanks Jon.

Cheers,

<redacted>

Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 15:06
Subject: Re: Are you interested? Today Only SolidWorks CAD Savings

Hi, <redacted>.

Has the rapid improvement of Onshape caused you to reconsider your refusal to offer SolidWorks at a reasonable price to causal noncommercial users such as myself?

Jon

Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 15:19
To: Jon <redacted> 
Subject: RE: Are you interested? Today Only SolidWorks CAD Savings

Jon, 

Nope, not in the slightest. This is just an offer to help those individuals sitting on the fence trying to decide whether or not they want to make the jump into a true commercial CAD tool. 

Thanks,

<redacted>

Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:28 PM

Is it just you, or does SolidWorks have this arrogant position?

Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 15:36

Jon,

Your confusing arrogance with confidence.  Onshape and SOLIDWORKS are not the same tools let alone on the same playing field.  Although Onshape is gaining speed it will be a long time before it’s up to par with SOLIDWORKS.  

Any way you slice it, you’re going to choose the best CAD tool for your needs and others will do the same whether its SolidWorks, Inventor, PTC, or Onshape.  

To each their own, as they say.  Good luck with everything, thanks for your response. 

Cheers,

<redacted>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    *You're
  • Options
    LeoJr2019LeoJr2019 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    While I agree that Solidworks is out of reach for end users, I also have to agree that Solidworks is FAR better than Onshape. Onshape is a nice idea, but does not share nearly the robustness or power of Solidworks.