Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surface array around curved object?

alan_jeremiahalan_jeremiah Member Posts: 2
Hi
I'm new to OnShape and not from a CAD background perse so apologies in advance if this is a silly question. 
I'm trying to create a rubber track (think tank track/snow blower track), and while i've created a surface and a single 'tread' (as a separate part) i'd like to copy the 'tread' around the entire surface. When i try and use the linear pattern tool I just get the tread repeated 'x' number of times normal to the face or extend the entire length of a straight face. I'd like it to flow around the entire surface inclduing the two curved ends. 

Any advice on how i might approach this please? 

Thanks
Alan 

Answers

• Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    Hi
    I'm new to OnShape and not from a CAD background perse so apologies in advance if this is a silly question. 
    I'm trying to create a rubber track (think tank track/snow blower track), and while i've created a surface and a single 'tread' (as a separate part) i'd like to copy the 'tread' around the entire surface. When i try and use the linear pattern tool I just get the tread repeated 'x' number of times normal to the face or extend the entire length of a straight face. I'd like it to flow around the entire surface inclduing the two curved ends. 

Any advice on how i might approach this please? 

Thanks
    Alan 
    Is there a reason you made your track rounded rectangle? I assume in real life it is a continuous loop. If you had a circular tread (let's imagine you are 3D printing or injection molding it, you wouldn't want the flat parts with corners molded in) then you can use circular pattern as so:

• Options
    emmett_weeksemmett_weeks Onshape Employees Posts: 29
    edited July 2016
    You should be able to use Curve Pattern from the Featurescript examples to do what you want. Just select the edges of the track for the path. You may need to specify a reference direction to get all of the instances pointing in the correct direction. This won't adjust the geometry of the instances created to meet up with the part, so the tread might have to be slightly inset if you want it to intersect with the curved portion.