Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

identical, updating parts in same part studio

Hi all

I'm modeling a thing that has a bunch of identical parts that fit into each other.

Is there a way to duplicate a part such that modifications to one are seen on all other parts?

One specific example of what I'm trying to do:
Draw a part
use subtract to remove some piece of it.
then duplicate it and rotate the duplicate to another position
use another part to subtract from the duplicate

then, I should see the second subtract in the original part.

Is this possible? I could just redraw the same piece multiple times but there'd be a bunch of redundant work there.

Answers

• Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I'm not a professional, but I don't think that there's a way to accomplish what you're after.  Once a part is duplicated (I've only ever done this using a mirror) in a parts studio, it becomes it's own entity.  

If you're making several identical parts, I'd suggest creating several instances of the original part in an assembly.  This won't help you speedup the design process, but it should cut down on some headaches after the original is perfect.  
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    If you create the part in a different Part Studio and insert it via Derived Part then any updates you do in that Part Studio/part will be propagated through all of them.

Or if you just do your modifications before the you copied/patterned the part then the changes will propagate through the copy/pattern.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com