Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to model this art work. 2D frames morphed together in a circular pattern.

david_fisher031david_fisher031 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Community Support

How do I model this art in onshape http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/06/a-fascinating-3d-printed-light-based-zoetrope-by-akinori-goto/

It is like a 2D/3D zeotrope. I have had an attempt at this using line angle planes, three point planes, splines and loft https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bd393bdac15a2037ba6a0b06/w/7d74e288db23735d0328307d/e/858d31c1d05184988aade9c2 . This would be a lot of work to do manually is there a better way to model this or perhaps I could do it using featurescript ?

Perhaps there are tools better suited to this task than Onshape, any suggestions welcome.

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    You'd have to create a sketch of points in the outline of a man. Then, you'd have to copy/paste that sketch to a slightly rotated plane and move the points slightly a la stop animation. Rinse and repeat all the way around. Create small circles at each point in one of the sketches and guide curves through the corresponding points between sketches (you may need FeatureScript for this part if the points are non planar). Then create a sweep for each circle you made earlier. Lastly, add some structural connections/ribs to connect the sweeps into one body. None of this sculpture is patternable since there is no symmetry, so it's definitely going to be a manual process.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had a thought. If you made a flexible humanoid assembly you could create the points by intersecting the sketch with it. That would make generating the animation a lot easier.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    For me, I would get an animation I want and do some preprocessing so that it becomes a bunch of dxf files.  Import all of the dxf files into Onshape and make a bunch of planes about a circle and paste the dxfs.  This should give a profile that you can loft between which will make a solid with the desired profiles.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com