Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Setting variables in the iPad version

mark_princemark_prince Member Posts: 3
Hi all

i'm a first time user of on shape and have been making good progress quickly.

what I'm struggling with is creating variables to set parametric values in my parts (I used to do this a lot in Alibre which I've used in the past).

i've seen in a video that "(x)" appears in a video, but I can't find this anywhere in the iPad version.

i'm using the non-pro ipad app on an iPad Pro with the pencil. This works really well for me, but I need to set parameters.

can you show me what I'm missing?

thanks
mark

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi mark_prince,

To use variables in Onshape, they need to be created with the variable feature.  This can be found on the iPad below:

Once this is up, you enter the name of your variable and the value that it is set to.  The value can be any valid expression.  I created a variable named var with the value 4

Then when referencing the variable, enter the variable name with a # in front of it.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • sef_pinneysef_pinney Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Jake!