Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using bottom up assembly, how do I adjust a part to fit another part.

brian_wagenerbrian_wagener Member Posts: 19
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I have imported some predesigned parts, and want them in my assembly, but have a question.  Lets say I have 2 imported parts that are connected by a pipe.  I do not know how long the pipe is, but I need the 2 parts to be 1m apart based on a certain point on the imported parts.  How would I do this?  

Best Answer

Answers

• colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @brian_wagener

Obviously there are many ways to achieve what you are looking for.  I would recommend inserting your imported parts as derived parts and transforming with mate connectors to set the 1m dimension.  Then you can build your pipe to fit.  Also if the 1m dimension changes in the future....the pipe could update to match the new dimension.  Additionally if one of the fittings changes in the future....you can just version up and remove the derived fitting and insert the new one. 

It is a little tough to give advice without actually seeing what you are doing and the parts.  
    You can create a public document and Im sure multiple people here will jump in and help :) 

• brian_wagenerbrian_wagener Member Posts: 19
    Thanks the document is https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4842d05aba26dd3173f88661/w/5043f19c5fb1e572dfccd162/e/e388b488948a3f51b0b9cf77

I have made many things before with onshape, but this is the first time with multiple parts, and having problems figuring anything out.  If you look at the linked project, on the part studio page, you see 2 parts that I want to connect with the pipe.  I have a sketch, that I want to align the vertex of the sketch with the center of the circle on the parts.  I tried adding the parts as derived, but couldn't even figure out how to move them.   
    I think I have a better grasp on this now, but am having an issue with the connector mates not being transformed with derived parts.  Since my parts will have multiple connector mates, this causes a problem.  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1828/bug-in-transform-with-mate-connectors
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @brian_wagener

I think you may be seeing the mate connector from the derived part in its original position.  
    Look in the feature tree on the left side and find the derived feature....hide it.  See if that makes the mate connector go away. 

I find it weird that mate connectors from derived parts stay in the original position after transforming.  
    That doesn't fix my problem because after I transform the part into place, all the other mate connectors stay in the same place like you know.  Sure I can hide them so I don't see mate connectors floating in space, but now I can't use the other 2 mate connectors that are supposed to be on the part anymore to mate anything else to it.  
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.  I see what you did there, and should be able to recreate it.