Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape BOM Google Sheets no Update either direction

jochen333jochen333 OS Professional Posts: 28 PRO
edited July 2016 in Using Onshape
Hello

I tried all the current possibilities in Onshape for BOM creation and maintenance.

For now i like the Lou Gallo app Onshape BOM the most, because OpenBOM feels like early beta and still needs features.

But there is one problem: I coulnt achieve an update in either direction. 
If i change some properties in part studio the Sheet is not updated and if i change something in the Sheet the prperties in part studio are not updated too.

Does anyboday have an idea or got this to work already?

Update: Of course i tried the "Update metadata" all the time
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2016
    To update the Goggle sheet you have too recreate. This is an issue if you change the format of the sheet after initial creation as all changes will be lost on update. 

To push the Google sheet changes back to Onshape you can us the update metadata. Generally works OK for me.  

Once setup I then make all changes to the sheet and push back rather than pull from Onshape.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Thats the problem... push from google sheets to onshape didnt work for me. Several tries, different assemblies, every time "Update metadata"
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2016
    Update metadata should work. If it doesn't I'd try contacting @lougallo
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @jochen333 Let me know if you have an issue.  The app is not meant to sync live.  You can pull in and push back to Onshape.  There is feedback in the Addon in Google sheets too which will send me a note.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @lougallo

Of course i did the "Update metadata" all the time i tried the process. Thats the option to bring the updated data back to the onshape parts, or?

I send you a Help request through the Addon in Google Sheets now, wasn´t aware of that Butten in help.

Edit:
    Is it not working because right now i am working in a branch?
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @jochen333 If you are on another branch, you will not see the updates.  The pull and push are to the same workspace always.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.