Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Noob / enthusiastic amateur - hole function

sam_wehrlisam_wehrli Member Posts: 12 PRO
edited August 2016 in Community Support
I have some horribly outdated background. I got into welding / fabrication for the simple fact that I couldn't afford college. I love it, but my first love will always be CAD. I got drafted at work to build some fixtures, so I am trying to model them in OS so that more experienced machinists can make the individual parts, being that the tolerances on these fixture can be pretty tight. 

I have the basic parts modeled, and I am stuck. I'm missing something silly. I have the parts modeled and my sketch points located, but when I attempt the hole function I get an error about intersections. The holes need to be tapped 5/16 - 24 in the last part (0.5 inch), and close fit in the first 2 (3.5 inches). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I made the drawing public.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/844a3dff7796ca887e8368e4/w/8365d3095285df67b07ceb1b/e/3a59f6c1ef636442696465b0

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    I have some horribly outdated background. I got into welding / fabrication for the simple fact that I couldn't afford college. I love it, but my first love will always be CAD. I got drafted at work to build some fixtures, so I am trying to model them in OS so that more experienced machinists can make the individual parts, being that the tolerances on these fixture can be pretty tight. 

I have the basic parts modeled, and I am stuck. I'm missing something silly. I have the parts modeled and my sketch points located, but when I attempt the hole function I get an error about intersections. The holes need to be tapped 5/16 - 24 in the last part (0.5 inch), and close fit in the first 2 (3.5 inches). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I made the drawing public.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/844a3dff7796ca887e8368e4/w/8365d3095285df67b07ceb1b/e/3a59f6c1ef636442696465b0
    I had no problem placing holes at the points I found at 5/16. A screenshot/cast of the error would be awesome to help diagnose the issue
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 26 PRO
    @sam_wehrli I tried to place the holes in both locations and had the same issue you are seeing.  I even tried creating a new model and place the hole into the new model, in a new document with the same issue.  I used this feature just yesterday on a design that I am working on.  Here are a couple screen shots of the error that I am seeing in the model that I created.

I tried changing the drill depth to be a blind hole in the last part and a through hole and that did not seem to affect the issue that you are seeing.  Not sure what is going on here.  Anyone else have any ideas.  If you are able to get it to work please share some screenshots of what you did to get it to work.

Matt
  • Options
    brendon_jonesbrendon_jones Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I'm a newby too but get the same error with that 'blind to last' feature.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    well I feel a little better lol I was so frustrated... I watched a dozen YouTube vids with guys just pointing and clicking, thinking I was just missing something obvious. Hopefully someone can get this solved for me because the embedded standardized bolt hole function is the main reason I was drawn to this program.
  • Options
    @HENRY_FELDMAN I can make a simple hole work, it's the blind in last feature that won't. It seems to for some people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WzT-betMI

but I get the same error that they do ^^^ The hole renders in red while I am still in the dialog box, and no combination of changes will make OS recognize the last part. The hole I am trying to define clearly intersects not 2 but 3 separate parts, it just doesn't work. Unless again, I am missing something really stupid. That is definitely possible lol. For the record that drawing has 2 sets of holes in the sets of functions that I have defined, one through 3 and another through 2. Neither work. I tried in another studio to simply extrude 2 plain blocks and perform this function. It doesn't work. At least the dialog box gives you the standardized dimensions to manually extrude the individual cylinders i guess. 
  • Options
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Does it work if you do it in two operations?

(1) "Through and counter-bore" in yellow part
    (2) "Blind in last" on blue and grey part.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd