Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hole tool - depth to a selected surface or next surface

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
Am I missing something, or is there no way to use the hole tool to make a hole depth end at a specific surface or go to the next surface? I can only find to a specified depth (value) or thru (completely). I would deduct points if my students used an arbitrary depth when the design actually needed a hole to only go up to a specific surface. We can do this in CREO but I cannot find it in OS.

Brian

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ brian_brady , Now Onshape don't have that option in hole.you can raise a improvement request for that.
    As a work around you can create extrude and remove the material.You have the "Up to face" option in Extrude.
  • Options
    Narayan_K said:
    @ brian_brady , Now Onshape don't have that option in hole.you can raise a improvement request for that.
    As a work around you can create extrude and remove the material.You have the "Up to face" option in Extrude.
    Thanks, I know how to use the extrude method. It requires multiple steps though if the hole is not just a simple hole. For design intent reasons, I teach my student to use the most appropriate tool, which would be the hole tool in these cases. When moving from design to manufacturing, i.e. generating CNC code, holes that are made using extrusions do not translate as drilled/reamed holes like holes made using the hole tool for several software packages.

Honestly (aimed at OS not you) the improvement request system leaves much to be desired, so I generally don't even bother.
  • Options
    travis_lundytravis_lundy Member Posts: 15 PRO
    @brian_brady, Did you ever create an improvement request for this? I just ran in to this limitation myself and I would vote it up. I was not able to find it if you had.
  • Options
    @brian_brady, Did you ever create an improvement request for this? I just ran in to this limitation myself and I would vote it up. I was not able to find it if you had.
    I don't think I ever did