Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I add my imported STEP part to an assembly?

I'm designing a play structure and I want to see how it's going to look in relation to my house and yard.  I modeled the house as a set of standard OS parts, but the yard itself is sloped and uneven and doesn't lend itself to OS-style modeling (as far as I know).  I have a 3D surface mesh of my yard generated from some drone images that I've managed to convert to an enormous 8 MB STEP file (there are only 10k faces) which I've successfully(?) imported into Onshape (I can see the 3D mesh in Part Studio and rotate it around and such).  However, when I try to insert it in my assembly, it's not listed among the parts I can insert.

So, how can I add my imported mesh object to my house+structure+yard assembly to see how things are going to look?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ benjamin_pelletier,At this stage we can't insert surface to assembly.So you can thicken your surfaces of yard so that it can form a part.now you can insert that part to assembly.
  • Options
    SquidLordSquidLord Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Also, you're not going to have much use from that surface mesh without reference geometry defining what "level" is anyway, so I suggest using Your Favourite Mesh Tool(TM) to make the surface define the top part of a broken rectangular prism/cube, with the bottom face representing "level." This gets you a volume to import to OS for the rest of the geometry to work off of as well as makes sure you have a stable and static reference frame.