Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I sweep a complex curving path while staying perpendicular to surface?

tim_martin786tim_martin786 Member Posts: 10
edited August 2016 in Community Support
I have managed to project a spiral path onto the inside of a bowl surface. So far so good. Now I'd like to sweep (I think) a line along that path and have it stay perpendicular to the bowl. The result should create a twisting spiral surface inside the bowl. Anyone have an idea how to accomplish this? Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
Here is what I have so far: BowlSpiral

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I can indeed create a spiraling sweep that runs along the bowl surface, however, how can I make the new surface stay perpendicular(normal?) to the inside bowl surface?

• Options
    As can be seen in the previous image, the spiraling surface starts at right angles to the top of the bowl, but as it traverses the path it loses this relationship. Is there another way to achieve the desired result? Would a loft be better suited? Anyone with ideas on how to proceed? Thanks!
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The sweep isn't aware of the bowl surface - only the projected sweep path. The best you can do is maintaining normalcy to the sweep path. However, it's feasible to achieve something close to what you want with a loft using two guid curves. You could use the existing path as the first guide curve, but you'd have to project a spiral onto a smaller inner curve for the second guide curve. If the second curve matches the first one "just so", the effect will be to keep the surface more or less normal to the bowl surface. 
  • Options
    @mahir, thank you for your comments! I attempted that route for a bit and found it challenging to create the second guide curve appropriately. The various curved shapes and projections became difficult for my brain to keep straight.  :) Then when I defined the loft I kept getting weird twists that were unexpected. (likely because I defined something incorrectly)
    I was hoping there was someway to constrain the sweep line relationship normal to the bowl surface, but I guess not.
    Since the bowl shape is likely to be modified often during our R&D development, it would be desirable to have the spiraling vane adjust "automagically" when changes are made to the basic shape... another reason I backed down from creating the second curve for a loft.
    Maybe I could try creating additional planes/sketches along the spiraling curve defined similarly to the original sweep line and attempt a loft between the segments? Or maybe look into featurescript? (not sure I'm ready for that since I'm still learning the OS ropes)

• Options
    jon_sorrellsjon_sorrells Onshape Employees Posts: 51
    @mahir
    The "f" in "lockFaces" needs to be capital
  • Options
    Thanks, @jon_sorrellsIt's always the little things! @tim_martin786, if you use something like the Normal Sweep feature in my link above, that should exactly what you're looking for.
  • Options
    @mahir, Wow! That is so sweet! Exactly what I needed!
    Really appreciate the help! FeatureScript is definitely something I'll need to look into further as I become more proficient with things.
    Thanks again! And thank you @jon_sorrells for the assist!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure why FeatureScript was even necessary. It seems like the "lock faces" option is already built into the sweep functionality. I suspect that at some point in the near future OS will probably update the sweep gui to include it. In the meantime, I'm glad I could help.
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    @mahir: I'm trying to understand what you did, but I can't even seem to figure out the constraints applied in Sketch 3. What kind of constraint is this (highlighted in red):

It appears that the construction line is a two-point spline with pierce constraints to the top circumference of the bowl, and it also seems to be coincident with the bowl surface in the sketch plane, and I guess that is the shown constraint. However, for the life of me I can't figure out how that constraint is applied, and it is bugging me.  :-)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The construction spline was created as an intersection of the bowl surface and the sketch plane. That weird icon is the intersection constraint, available as a drop down icon along with convert edges. The profile line was then constrained to be normal to that spline - and therefore normal to the bowl surface. The reason the spline is shaped strangely is the sketch plane doesn't go through the origin. It was created as normal to the sweep path at its end point. 
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Aha! Then I learnt something new today! Great! Thank you!