Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Spur Gear Interference

LansteysLansteys Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hi,

Has anyone else had the issue, when creating a gear train, were teeth will interfere for a few degrees at the start and end of meshing? It is clearly noticeable on internal spur gears, and more so with a higher tooth count / smaller gear.

It can be observed within the sample file for spur gears and seems to be an issue with the geometry itself.

I have had a look at the script, but that much code is a bit beyond me.
Does anyone have anything to share regarding this, whether it is a fix or just a better diagnosis of the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for you answer!
    I thought that this was a possibility, though it is hard to verify and givin that the tip of the gear interferes, which I assumed to be correctly represented in the model, I had discounted this as a possibility.

I did however notice that by tuning the number of teeth the interfearance can be removed. It seems less teeth work best.

I 3D printed a set of planetary gears created with the spur gear feature using 0.5mm clearance, which I achieved by offsetting the pitch circle diameter. On my printer this is a bit tight, but the teeth shape works as it should.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for you answer!
    I thought that this was a possibility, though it is hard to verify and givin that the tip of the gear interferes, which I assumed to be correctly represented in the model, I had discounted this as a possibility.

I did however notice that by tuning the number of teeth the interfearance can be removed. It seems less teeth work best.

I 3D printed a set of planetary gears created with the spur gear feature using 0.5mm clearance, which I achieved by offsetting the pitch circle diameter. On my printer this is a bit tight, but the teeth shape works as it should.