Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

cut outs in a panel

mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO
edited August 2016 in Community Support
we develop electronic designs, printed circuit boards (pcb), which we have to integrate in a construction (standard housing)
so we export the pcb and connectors from the design program as step and import it in os
it will be placed in an assembly together with the housing and mated (dark green: pcb)

to close the housing it needs a front panel

now we measure out the connectors in relation to the front panel where they intersect

and transfer the dimensions into a sketch with the front panel to place the holes and cut outs to get the final front panel to let produce them.

is a bit boring. is there a more efficient, automatic way to do this? have no clue.
for example, if i could take the related parts out of the assembly - where they are aligned - into a part studio, there i could select parts of the connectors and extrude (remove) it through the front panel. i guess. but cannot copy it out from the assembly. mate it as multi part in part studio or total different way?

thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I think what you want to do is import into a part studio, not an assembly. (ie "flatten" option.) You can then use a boolean subtract on on the plate, or at least a sketch with the "use" to pick op on the center-points of the components and then an extrude or similar.  (Depending on what's easier to give a bit of clearance.)

Regards,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    I took them both into an assembly, because the pcb as well as the front panel are referred (mated) to the housing. can't do this in a part studio, only set a mate, or?
  • Options
    hi owen

thanks, this helped me a lot!
    I was able to do this in a part studio with import/derived and the transfor via mate. sketching it from there looks great. I still have a bit to train it.
    we work in switzerland, so we are not a competitor.

best