Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Off Topic - Source for copyright free multiview drawings and/or solid models for education

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
I have been using a Creo textbook to teach solid modeling (with Creo of course) for the past few years. I plan on using OS this semester instead due to the better handling of files between student team members and since it is platform agnostic. However, this leaves me in a bit of a position regarding a source for assignment exercises. I really should not use the drawings from the book since students will not need it. It seems that most drafting or CAD texts I look at seem to use the same (or nearly so) isometric drawings and mutliview drawings for their examples and exercises. Where do they get them? Does anybody know of a good source for such exercises that could be freely used.

I would love to use models/parts that have a context and have the students create all of the different parts as they learn about different features and then assemble them when all parts are finished. In fact, I would prefer this project-based method and would use it exclusively if I had enough small to medium sized assemblies that had different levels of complexity, required extrusions, revolves, holes, patterns, sweeps, etc to make all of the parts in an assembly set. I don't have any of the part or assembly models or drawings from my past life in the machine tool industry because they belonged to the company and customer. If any OS forum members had some good industry relevant parts/assemblies that would fit the bill I would love for you to share them with be, even if view only. I can recreate the part and assembly models myself and make drawings for the students to work from.

Thanks,
Brian

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    I will see if I can dig up any of my old examples. In the meantime, have you seen our instructors kit? https://www.onshape.com/edu/instructor-kit
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I will see if I can dig up any of my old examples. In the meantime, have you seen our instructors kit? https://www.onshape.com/edu/instructor-kit
    I downloaded it already. Looks good, but I will need more exercises for the students to practice and become skilled.
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @brian_brady we are getting close to finishing up a full 12-week course curriculum with example assignments and assessments. I will post again here once it is ready, but if you'd like a sneak peak or give some early feedback, please pm me.

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.