Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Needing to keep both the intersect extrude and the base part...

don_whitmire968don_whitmire968 OS Professional Posts: 21 PRO
edited August 2016 in Community Support
In the original sketch 1 there is a geometric shape that was intended to be extruded and used when the shape of the complete part was final.  The challenge currently is the inability to extrude intersect the compression fitting from the sketch 1 and then retain the complete base part as well as the fitting component.  Not sure if I am explaining correctly.  I need to extrude intersect a sub component and use both parts when complete.  Currently when I finish the extrude intersect function I lose the remaining geometry thus rendering the objective lost.  I know this is a bit of a process determining the sequence, however I thought method would yield the best results.  I may be wrong with that assessment.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ef928c323d0d23263b35037a/w/c712011c38254cc57623122b/e/58e16c97e888c92ef20edc82

Answers

• Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    I'm not totally clear what you're looking for, and it seems like that document isn't public/link to view (or at least, permissions are such that I can't see it).
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yup, me too.

The link returns:- "Failed to load document for workspace. Resource does not exist, or you do not have permission to access it"

Owen S

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I might be dense, but I still don't get what you're trying to achieve. Perhaps you should actually do the intersect extrude (that doesn't give you the result you want) in the shared document, so that it is easier to see what you are trying to do?

And BTW, your document is shared as view only, so no one is able to make a copy of it to experiement/work with.
  • Options
    jon_sorrellsjon_sorrells Onshape Employees Posts: 51
    If you do the extrude as new, and then a boolean intersect with 'keep tools' checked, does that do what you want
  • Options
    don_whitmire968don_whitmire968 OS Professional Posts: 21 PRO
    All sorted out now.  Required a Transform function on the extrude.  Appreciate all the feedback!