Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Revisioning public Featurescript - Public/Private Versions in one document?

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited August 2016 in FeatureScript
Hi folks.

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find the post I was after.  Sorry if it's old ground.

(Question 1)
Lets say I have a document containing a FS that I've made public that I now want to develop further. 

The workflow I envisioned was to have the latest stable revision made public, and with further development revisions set to "private".  As soon as I'm happy a new version is good then it'll be set it to public.

Can I get this behavior in a single document, or should I have a separate private document for development?

(Question 2)
The latest OS update has an indicator to a user that a new version of a fs feature is available.  If the user finds the updated version has a fault can they roll back to the last version?

Cheers,
Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thinking further this isn't limited to FS but is appropriate to all documents.

If I have a drawing I may want our in house production team to be working on Release 1, our component supplier to have sight of Release 2 and the design team to be working on Version 3.

Cheers,
    O.S. 
    (Also please rename Onshape; every time I go to sign my initials it looks like I'm trying to pretend I work for you...)
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Thanks Kevin.

Thanks for the speedy reply.  I wasn't looking hard enough. :(  

As you say the Reference Manager >> Selective Update >> Version Graph option allows the user to roll to any version of a FS feature they wish. 
    I think I over-thought the term "update" and came to the conclusion that it could only "update", and not "roll-back" revisions.

Looking at this the user only has the option to use a saved revision.  So a developer could have a released version and a working main "section" in a single doc.  just as long as they didn't apply a revision to it. Risky though.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd