Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing new bespoke parts in Assembly mode?

sour_doughsour_dough Member Posts: 1
Maybe i'm not understanding the layout hierarchy or something.
I'm designing a robot, there's lots of pre-defined gearboxes and other objects. I drew them as single parts, then created a version and added them to a separate assembly file. Slightly helpful pics here: http://imgur.com/a/FIb4p
I'm at the stage where I'd like to start drawing the chassis to tie everything together, but I don't know how to proceed. I certainly don't want to have to make a separate part file, then keep plugging it into the assembly to see if it fits or not. I'd much rather draw directly on top of all the assembly parts.
Did I take a wrong turn somewhere or is this not possible?

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited September 2016
    sour_dough - hello!
    No, you have done nothing wrong :)
    Building discrete parts in either a single document, or across multiple documents is perfectly valid.
    Today, where you need to create a new part that references the locations of components built in other part studios (and possibly in other documents), the workflow is to DERIVE the parts that you want to reference INTO the part studio in which you are building the new part. 
    Once inserted, there may be an additional step required to position and orient them - that step is 'transform by mate connector'.
    This workflow is covered in detail in the webinar 'Using the Derived Feature' (recorded August 9th 2016).
    If this date is in the future, you are free to attend the webinar.
    If this date is in the past, feel free to watch the recording.
    We are of course working on additional workflows to streamline this process.
    I hope this helps - Philip . . . 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape