Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

video of creating an internal thread

ray_brownray_brown Member Posts: 3
g'day all. i'm trying to create an internal thread in a tube to act as an extension join. i've read forum instructions but find them confusing. i'm a visual monkey see monkey do type and have watched creating external threads with ease.

has anyone done a video on creating an internal thread if so is there a link, and if not, could someone please do one for people like myself who learn/understand quicker via video tutorial.

sincere thanks in advance.
ray

Answers

• ray_brownray_brown Member Posts: 3
    i followed that step by step and was unable to create it. i maybe doing it the wrong way. i'll keep experimenting and see how i go. sometimes when you play around enough you stumble onto it and the penny drops.
  • daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I just followed the example and I was able to re-create it without issue.  What part are you struggling with exactly?
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Good video tutorial. One thing though, if you are going to go the effort of making an actual thread (versus a must needed cosmetic thread), then you should make it match the correct thread profile, including small flat at the root of the thread.
  • daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    @brian_brady Very true.  If I were to go through the effort to put internal threads in my models, I'd likely build standard threads using a featurescript.  In any case, I wonder how often accurate representations of threads are necessary in the real world.  I'm no industrial expert, but I would imagine that in most cases threads are cut with taps/dies or using standard thread pitch settings on metal lathes.  In either case, a quick "M6" or "1/4-20" would be all the information that you'd need to relay.  
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    @brian_brady Very true.  If I were to go through the effort to put internal threads in my models, I'd likely build standard threads using a featurescript.  In any case, I wonder how often accurate representations of threads are necessary in the real world.  I'm no industrial expert, but I would imagine that in most cases threads are cut with taps/dies or using standard thread pitch settings on metal lathes.  In either case, a quick "M6" or "1/4-20" would be all the information that you'd need to relay.  
    For standard fasteners, we never used them in machine and fixture designs. The primary exception for showing modeled threads is if they are a primary feature of your part/assembly. For instance, if my product is a collet type tool holder, I would likely model the primary threads for the holder and nut, but not small standard threads for items such as set screws and adjusting screws. Therefore for most threads you would use a threaded hole in the hole tool (although the thread disappears if you use a non-standard chamfer or counterbore, which needs to be fixed) or a cosmetic thread feature (a much needed feature) for extruded holes or on external features.

Once drawings have the ability to automatically populate dimensions and notes from the model's sketch dimensions and features (hopefully soon) then the threaded holes and cosmetic threads should be all you need 99% of the time.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    brian_brady said:Once drawings have the ability to automatically populate dimensions and notes from the model's sketch dimensions and features (hopefully soon) then the threaded holes and cosmetic threads should be all you need 99% of the time.
    I sure hope that those turn up soon in one of the updates.
  • ray_brownray_brown Member Posts: 3
    thanks for all the comments. as they say, if 1st you don't succeed, try try again. i ended up creating an internal thread. 
    what i did was create a 23mm thick rod with a 22mm 1.5mm pitch thread each end. i 3d printed that with no problems and that screwed into the end of a piece of aluminium round with a 22mm internal thread.

i then created a 23mm rod with a 20.5mm hole and created a helix, 1.5mm pitch with new sketch and then did the sweep. it worked. i 3d printed that and the 2 pieces screwed together nicely.

i will get some pics when possible.

cheers.