Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Dimensions

rob_marshallrob_marshall Member Posts: 9
I'm not dimensional technician, or a cad user on the whole, but in the absence of such, I've been given the task. Basically, I need to determine the position of a hole, and the radii, on an iges file we have been sent. Our tool maker, who used previous software, we no longer have, says he needs the intersections, and centres of each hole, from the datum line? I've attached a small section of the drawing to show you what I'm seeing. Sorry I can't be more specific, but as I stated, I'm not a CAD expert.

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi Rob.

Sounds doable.  First import iges to make solid part then make drawing from it showing the dimensions you're after.

If the contents aren't sensitive then if you make something public I'm sure you'd get some help here if you need it.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Thanks Owen. Won't I have to put the dimensions on myself to make a drawing? I've got the file imported into Onshape. As for sharing, I'll have to wait until tomorrow when my boss returns. Don't know how sensitive it is.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi Rob.

In OS we have sketches and drawings.

Sketches are created to drive geometry and build things.

Drawings are derived from parts and have the measure tools we want to be able to take your part and spit out it's dimensions.

You have to tell the drawing which features you want to measure, but it'll work out the sizes for you.

Hope that helps,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    I have the iges file on my workspace, but where it says parts it's zero, but 166 surfaces?
  • Options
    Tried to create a drawing from the iges file, but it's not showing anything. I'm getting desperate now. Can't share the file I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ rob_marshall , To create drawing you need part.since you have only surface in that iges file,you are not able to create drawing for surfaces.
    To create part you have to thicken the surface.

• Options
    Thanks. I think I'm going to have to abandon the project. I've no idea what I'm doing.
  • Options
    Ok. I selected all 166 surfaces, and clicked on thicken, to hopefully create a part, but don't know what changes I should make in the dialogue. Am I adding, removing, intersect? And what direction? I just want to create a solid part from the surfaces.
  • Options
    rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    If you just need the measurements, you can select items and on the bottom right we show relative measurements based on what's selected. (ie you select two points, it will show you the delta x,y, and z measurements).