Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to calculate inner/ring gear profile and matching helical pitch

david_fisher031david_fisher031 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
I am trying to create something like this http://tim.cexx.org/?p=1282 It is a gear driven 3D printed peristaltic pump using helical gears.

How do I design the profile of the ring gears. In the Planetary Gear Set Simple how was the profile of the ring gears teeth arrived at (sketch 3)? The tooth from this sketch is then extruded and transformed. The transformation used is xyz, it is transformed in the z axis as well as the x axis. Shouldn't a transformation have been to rotate it around the gears axis instead of just the x axis for xy transformation ?

How do I match the helix of the planet gears with that of the ring gear ?

many thanks

Answers

• Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I've only worked with double helical (herringbone) gears in OpenSCAD.  In that program the process for making these gears is to take a normal gear in two dimensions and move it slightly in the z direction and then rotate it slightly and perform a loft.  Depending on the thickness of the gear you may have to do this several times to achieve a smooth surface.  The double helical gear is simply the single helical mirrored.  The ring gear in OpenSCAD is created using a similar method, but by the time I figured out how the normal gear worked I just gave up and used the pre-built module.  

Unless someone has developed a feature script to create helical gears in Onshape, I would suggest installing OpenSCAD and generating the gear with that program and just importing it into Onshape.  It's cheating, but you'll save a ton of time.  

• Options
    david_fisher031david_fisher031 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    There is a much easier way in onshape using a helix and a sweep. Take a look at this example https://cad.onshape.com/documents/53082dd4775c4696a9a20c57/w/49204547641d44a88924e24a/e/33b2b54e12f04155a7d5f148

What I would still like to know is how to work out the profile of the ring gear.

• Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    That a vastly superior method.